[GNC] A/P: invoice not displayed and payment is displayed

Rick Copple rick at copplecleaningservice.com
Wed May 30 18:09:19 EDT 2018

On 05/30/2018 07:45 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2018, Maf. King wrote:
>
>> Yes, tedious unpost-repost is probably the thing to do.
>
> Maf,
>
>   There were only about 10 transactions in that subaccount. Three of them
> were payments which I corrected in the checking account register, the
> rest I
> corrected by displaying the invoice, unposting, and reposting changing
> the
> reporting account to 'accounts payable' itself. That removed all
> transactions from the 'bad subaccount' register.
>
>> But if you delete a normal account which contains transactions, GC will
>> ask you if you want to re-assign the txns to another account or delete
>> them... Don't know if that will work for payables with posted entries,
>> which are generally read-only... no ham in trying (on a backup)

Rich,

I have my A/R set up as sub accounts. Here's how I handle it.

First, you'll want to click the box in the account edit section that
says "placeholder" of the parent account. That tells GNUCash that it is
a parent account and cannot contain transactions. if you absent mindedly
attempt to post something to it, it will give you an error message. That
has saved me more than once from posting an invoice (or bill in your
case) to that parent account.

The downside of this is anytime you post a new invoice or bill, you'll
have to set the right account in the posting account field. From then
on, it will default to that account the next time you post to it, at
least on the A/R side of things.  But the really annoying thing about it
is every time you want to run a report, you have to set the right
account in the report, like the A/R aging report. But I have a rather
large credit in A/R that i wanted to separate out, is why I did it. I
plan on consolidating those back together once that credit is cleared.
But for now, I need it to see that actual total of what I have in A/R
without having to adjust for the credit all the time.

Hint: if you want to make sure all your payments are going into the same
account as your invoices, first open the invoice you want to pay, then
click on the payment option (either icon or from the menu), and it will
post to the same account.

--
Rick Copple