[GNC] building 3.1 on Linux, problems.

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Thu May 31 13:26:18 EDT 2018

> On May 31, 2018, at 9:33 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>
> On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 08:32:23AM -0700, John Ralls wrote:
>>

>>> On May 31, 2018, at 7:40 AM, Fred Smith <fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all!
>>>
>>> I'm trying to build 3.1 for Centos-7, and since I don't know anything
>>> about cmake, am having some trouble.
>>>
>>> when running cmake like this:
>>>
>>> 	cmake $SRCROOT/gnucash
>>>
>>> I'm getting these errors:
>>>
>>> 	CMake Error at CMakeLists.txt:5 (file):
>>> 	  file problem creating directory: /glib-2.0/schemas
>>>
>>> is this due to something in CMakeLists.txt, line five? Line 5 in
>>> that file doesn't appear to have anything to do with glib, Here
>>> are the first few lines:
>>>
>>>       # CMakeLists.txt for GnuCash
>>>
>>>       IF (WIN32 OR APPLE)
>>>         CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED (VERSION 3.3.2)
>>>       ELSE()
>>>         CMAKE_MINIMUM_REQUIRED (VERSION 2.8)
>>>       ENDIF()
>>>
>>>       PROJECT (gnucash)
>>>
>>>       ENABLE_TESTING()
>>>

>>> then there's this one. there IS no CMakeLists.txt file in the gnome
>>> directory. what am I supposed to look at to try to understand this one?
>>>

>>> 	-- Performing Test have_mod_mask - Failed
>>> 	CMake Error at gnome/CMakeLists.txt:59 (gnc_add_swig_guile_command):
>>> 	  Unknown CMake command "gnc_add_swig_guile_command".
>>>
>>> and if there WERE such a file, how would I go about fixing this?
>>>
>>> Assistance appreciated, thanks in advance!
>>
>> Did you by any chance set $SRCROOT to point to the source directory (i.e. /path/to/gnucash-3.1) instead of the source directory’s parent? If you did then you want to say “cmake <options> $SRCROOT”.
>
> I downloaded the file to ~/Downloads, and from there did tar xvf <tarfilename>
> which produced a directory named gnucash-3.1, and that is where $SRCROOT
> points:
>
> 	$ env | grep SRCROOT
> 	SRCROOT=/home/fredex/Downloads/gnucash-3.1
>
> which way should I then be doing it? I (in my advanced years) find the
> explanations somewhat opaque. Surely my problem, not yours.
>
> also, where is it trying to create that glib directory? the message
> says /glib/..., so am I supposed to run this as root, so it has
> permission to write into the / directory?
>

>> That aside, if there’s no CMakeLists.txt in gnucash-3.1/gnucash/gnome then you have borked your source directory. See https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/gnucash/gnome/CMakeLists.txt
>
> I'll look into this.
>
> thanks for the reply!

From https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#CMake:
"	• There is a subdirectory named gnucash inside the source directory. Make sure that you don't pass that directory as source directory to cmake."

You passed that directory to cmake. The problem with /glib arises because cmake is trying to start with the wrong CMakeLists.txt.

Please study https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#CMake until you understand it.

Regards,
John Ralls