[GNC] building 3.1 on Linux, problems.

Fred Smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu May 31 21:10:07 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 02:39:11PM -0400, Dennis Powless wrote:
> Going back to basics, did you install all the dependencies?  ie cmake etc....

all the ones I could find documented (probably missed some at this
point). then cmake complained about a lot more, which I installed as
encountered.

Turns out my problem was 2 or 3 things: I had mis-interpreted the docs
instructions on how to set SRCROOT (I still think it could be clearer);
the version of cmake on Centos-7.5 won't work for gnucash, I downloaded
the latest one and installed it in /usr/local/cmake, removed the RPM
version, reset the PATH to point to the new one and voila! Also, Centos
comes with a set of Boost packages that are 0.01 too old in terms of
the version number... comes with 1.53, and Gnucash wants a minimum of
1.54. Looked at downloading and installing latest, but the bizarreness
of the build system scared me off, so I tweaked the cmake config to
accept 1.53 and ran a build. Had one problem with a return from somewhere
deep down inside /usr/include/.../.../.../.../.../<something>.hpp where
gcc said it couldn't convert some complex object into a bool inside
a return. So I put a cast to bool in the return statement and it compiled.

At compile time I had this error, which I don't know if its important
or not:

process:28679): gnc.module-WARNING **: Could not locate module gnucash/tax/de_DE interface v.0
wrote `/home/fredex/Downloads/gnucash-3.1/lib64/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/locale-specific/de_DE.go'

Looks like something to do with Germany, so I'm probably safe, being
in the US.

the build continued on from there and appeared to complete. next task
is to try it and see if I get smoke, or not.

thanks for your reply!

Fred