[GNC] How to run GNUcash in portable fashion?

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Thu Nov 1 05:11:55 EDT 2018

Op woensdag 31 oktober 2018 14:20:02 CET schreef Wm via gnucash-user:
> On 26/10/2018 21:36, Paul Kinzelman wrote:
> > Not ideal of course, but if you install GC on all the computers you want
> > to run on, you could just put the data on the flash drive and plug it in
> > to whatever computer you want and have already installed GC and
> > then start GC.
>
> Wrong!  the clever people at gnc towers decided to follow the MS idiocy
> model and put significant stuff in user / computer specific folders :(

Wrong you too :)

We didn't follow the MS model, but the free desktop one. Freedesktop defines a
folder for application metadata and one for user configuration data. Microsoft
specifies one folder for everything. So the default for GnuCash on Windows
puts both metadata and configuration data in one directory, and in two
separate ones on freedesktop adhering systems.

As I said before, I missed adding an environment variable for overriding the
configuration data folder, which bites on NON-freedesktop adhering systems
such as Windows.

Geert