[GNC] mysql backend, second user (lock, for example)

craigarno craig at arno.com
Sat Nov 3 23:36:30 EDT 2018

My application is similar, except two of my users will be outside of my local
network, working from the Internet.  I'm a tiny one man SOHO operation who
is off-site a lot of the time and may also be accessing my GnuCash database
remotely and concurrently from a job site providing client invoices/expenses
as needed/requested.

*Usecase*:
  /Myself/:  Day to day entry of expenses, income, travel receipts, tax
info.
  /Bookkeeper/: weekly cleanup of my efforts, will potentially be using the
database at the same time as I am.
  /Accountant/: Annual tax time work, will be using the database concurrent
with myself + bookkeeper, updating chart of accounts with changing tax law
information, Income tax preparation, etc.  Packaging up the previous year
while we're inputting the current year.

Ideally the internet side will use MySQL+SSL for secure connection.  And
ideally active records would be momentarily locked for update, then released
after update, and both other concurrent screens notified and updated as
required for correct visual data presentation.  Given the tiny size of my
organization, daily database transaction load will be very low, and most of
the time each of the three of us will effectively have exclusive access to
the database.  But there will be times when concurrency will be important.
This is also why we need a centralized accounting database.

Is there a roadmap for GnuCash database development?

Warnings of data loss using current versions of GnuCash noted.  I realize
GnuCash isn't there yet, but excited to see GnuCash is potentially headed in
this direction.

Thanks,
Craig