[GNC] GNC 3.3 CSV Importer Freezing on MacOS

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Mon Nov 5 04:31:34 EST 2018

Op zondag 4 november 2018 22:40:59 CET schreef btrib:
> Agreed. OFX/QIF works perfect. My CSV import did not only freeze but crashed
> the program and caused me to lose a large amount of data. Hundreds of asset
> transactions plus one entire liability account as well as several dozens of
> invoices -- all gone. CSV import has huge problems, stay away from any CSV
> importing at all costs. I wish there was a way to disable or remove it from
> the menu. It's by far the worst thing that's ever happened to my GnuCash
> data.

I'm sorry you had such a poor experience with the CSV importer and I'm glad
you were able to recover most of your data (as I read in the remainder of the
thread).

However none of this helps me in any way to improve the CSV importer. I
completely agree it shouldn't crash or make you lose data. But I'll need more
details to figure out why it crashed.

If you can consistently reproduce it, may I ask you to create a bug report in
our Bugzilla instance [1] and supply the details needed for me to reproduce it
as well ? Ideally, attach a simple test file and a small csv file that
triggers the crash. Or a large csv file if that's what's needed to make it
crash.

For the record, I can successfully run the csv importer with a csv file
containing about 2000 transactions. It's a bit slow, but not out of the
ordinary (15 to 20 seconds of delays). So clearly the size of the csv file
itself is not the only factor and my test setup is not having what is needed
to induce the crash.

Regards,

Geert

[1] Refer to http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Bugzilla on how to use our bug