[GNC] gnucash 3.x corrupts data file

Jörg Schaible joerg.schaible at gmx.de
Mon Nov 5 14:08:09 EST 2018

Hi David,

On Mon, 05 Nov 2018 02:30:39 +0000 David T. via gnucash-user wrote:

> Jörg,
> Frank points you to the spurious date that is likely the source of your
> trouble.

I guessed also.

> I believe that at some point, the developers put in a data
> check into the upgrade process, to prevent errors from propagating
> forward, which would explain the problem arising now.

That check seems not in place when a file from an older version is silently converted and when the file is
written ... :-/

> Perhaps you could
> manually add a '3' after '201' before reopening the file.

I already tried this (but with 2018) and gnucash 3.3 still failed to open the file. But that was before I compared
the old and new file and recognized that the new version also removes the date-posted element (at least
when the value seems to correlate with 0).

But you were right. After correcting the gdate to 2013-01-02 and adding a matching date-posted element, I
could read the file with the latest version 3.3.

Thanks,
Jörg