[GNC] [GNC-dev] Automatically split transactions with sales tax

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sun Nov 11 11:56:54 EST 2018

On 11/11/2018 6:23 AM, elvis wrote:
> Seriously? Are you just telling someone to type stuff stuff in? The
> WHOLE point of computers is to automate stuff.....
>
> What if they have 1000 transactions? At a minute a transaction that a
> whole day entering stuff that could be in under a SECOND....
>
> I know if you have a hammer everything looks like a nail, but really
> we should be thinking of inventing a better hammer... or eliminating
> the screw entirely.

  Well yes, and this used to be exactly my line of country, writing
"sproj's" (special projects; ad hoc programs) to generate thousands of
transactions.  Well more like tens of thousands, which would be a lot of
end users entering by hand for day after after day. But please take note
of that "ad hoc" because almost never EXACTLY the same even when the
same type of transaction being generated. Sure, I had useful skeletons
in my library, 90+% of the program going to be the same but needing
changes before each use << my main activity my last few weeks before
retirement was to get that library indexed "this skeleton is good for
that" so junior programmers could use it >>

THAT is why this sort of thing best done OUTSIDE of gnucash, a stand
alone program (that took "instruction input" and data input) which
created a file to be imported. Not PART of gnucash because one user's
needs will not be the same as another's. To make this clear .....

Person who made the initial request ---- please describe YOUR situation
in detail. What input would you be expecting to feed this program and
how would it calculate the tax amount to be split? ALL things sold taxed
at the same rate in your jurisdiction? That would not be true for other
users. Simple rate? Or something odd for fractions of a dollar (every
state I've lived in with a sales tax had special rules for that).

USUALLY business systems designed to handle sales have a component that
does this, usually called a POS (point of sales) component and THAT
generates transactions which feed the general ledger program << POS
would also produce feeds to the inventory system >> Gnucash is JUST
"general ledger". Personally I think that there should be teams working
on these other sorts of systems (to have an open source POS, and open
source "inventory", etc.). However it is important to note that POS
systems are often sold by the same company that sells the register
(doing things like keeping track of cash, producing customer receipts,
etc.). Might be far fetched to expect one of these outfits to produce
something to feed gnucash << but here could sit an open source program
to CONVERT the output to what gnucash wanted >>

Michael D Novack