[GNC] order of transactions for mutual funds

Christian Pinedo Zamalloa chr.pinedo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 14:28:05 EST 2018

Hello,

in our case, the capital/gain losses are delayed in fund transfers and only
considered when the share is sold. I would try to put a clearer example:

Fund A account
1, 2010-1-1, buy 10 shares @ 10 €, gross/net buy 100 €
2, 2015-1-1, transfer 10 shares @ 9 € to fund B, gross sell 90€ with 10€
capital losses, net sell 10 shares @ 10 € = 100€ to obtain 0€ capital
gain/losess (capital/gain losses delayed because of a fund transfer)

Fund B account
1, 2013-1-1, buy 10 shares @ 20 €, gross/net by 200 €
2, 2015-1-1, transfer 3 shares @ 30 € from fund A, gross buy 90€ with 10€
capital losses forwarded from fund A, net buy 100€ (3 shares @ 33,333333 €)

Using net values per share instead of gross values I can track capital
gain/losses delayed because of transfers automatically with gnucash.

Now If a want to sell Fund B shares:

Fund B account
3, 2018-11-14, sell 3 shares @ 25 € with 3 x 8,333333 € capital losses

In this case, according to FIFO laws of my country I am selling the
transfered shares (2. transaction of Fund B). Becuase to order in time the
sells of shares I have to take into account where I bought initially shares
(2010-1-1) not when I transfer shares between funds (2015-1-1). So, this is
why it should be great to we able to order transactions of Fund B account
in the following way:

Fund B account
2, 2015-1-1, transfer 3 shares @ 30 € from fund A, gross buy 90€ with 10€
capital losses forwarded from fund A, net buy 100€ (3 shares @ 33,333333 €)
1, 2013-1-1, buy 10 shares @ 20 €, gross/net by 200 €
3, 2018-11-14, sell 3 shares @ 25 € with 3 x 8,333333 € capital losses

I hope it is now easier to understand my initial question.

Thanks!

El mié., 14 nov. 2018 a las 19:40, David Carlson (<
david.carlson.417 at gmail.com>) escribió:

> If funds were used to buy a different security first then that security was
> sold for a withdrawal and intermediate gains matter unlike in U.S.
> custodial accounts, it could get very messy.
>
> David C
>
> On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 9:43 AM D <sunfish62 at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > If OP is looking to track gains using FIFO, wouldn't the lots
> > functionality work for them? I believe that it uses FIFO exclusively...
> >
> > David T.
> >
> > On November 14, 2018, at 8:23 PM, David Carlson <
> > david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I think that Christian is asking a slightly different question.  I
> > interpret it that in one parent custodial mutual fund account he
> purchased
> > Fund A on dates 1, 2 and later then sold some or all of Fund A and bought
> > Fund B in the same custodial account on date 3.
> >
> > Now I am not sure if he needs to account for capital gain at that point
> or
> > later on date 4 when he actually withdraws the funds from the parent
> > custodial account.
> >
> > David C
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 14, 2018 at 8:05 AM Derek Atkins <derek at ihtfp.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,

> > transactions

> transaction
> > transfers
> > the

> > > GnuCash does have multiple dates, which include the post-date,
> > entry-date,
> > > reconcile-date..  but only one visible date: the post-date.
> > >
> > > You have two options:
> > >
> > > 1) You could set the post-date to date 3 and put date 1 in the transfer
> > > description, or
> > > 2) You can set the post-date to date 1 (and put date 3 in the
> > description).
> > >
> > > I can think of no other way to do what you want.
> > >
> > > Personally, (noting that IANAA), I would go with option 1.

> > > -derek
> > >
> > > --
> > >        Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
> > >        derek at ihtfp.com             www.ihtfp.com
> > >        Computer and Internet Security Consultant

> > > If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> > > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > > -----

> > https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> > -----

Christian Pinedo Zamalloa (zako)
PGP keyID: 0xdb577d4ee6ffbd55
PGP Fgprt: A895 7C11 84F6 30B4 4938  32A4 9306 DFD0 CDE4 B542