[GNC] compiling 3.3

John Griessen john at industromatic.com
Sun Nov 18 18:11:10 EST 2018

On 11/17/18 7:24 PM, John Ralls wrote:
>> ;;; WARNING: loading compiled file/home/john/.local/gnucash-3.3/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports/account-piecharts.go failed:
>> ;;; ERROR: In procedure make_objcode_from_file: bad header on object file: "\x7fELF\x02\x01\x01ÿ\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00"
>> ;;; compiling/home/john/.local/gnucash-3.3/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/standard-reports/account-piecharts.scm
>> ;;; compiled/home/john/.cache/guile/ccache/2.0-LE-8-2.0/home/john/.local/gnucash-3.3/share/gnucash/scm/gnucash/report/standard-reports/account-piecharts.scm.go
> That’s telling you that the compiled guile files from your build are defective for some reason and that guile is rebuilding them in the location listed. While that’s a bunch of noise it’s not what’s crashing GnuCash. It does suggest that there’s something wrong with Guile on your machine and it’s possible that the rebuilt .go files are also invalid.
>
> What OS/Distro and version are you running? debian buster

 > How did you set up the build environment?
No env vars used (that I know).  launch build by commands:
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/home/john/.local/gnucash-3.3 /mosource/gnucash
make
sudo make install

 > Do you have more than one version of Guile installed
2.2 was removed when I used a prerequisites script to get dependencies for debian.
I have 2.0 installed.  I just found that 2.2 was still there, only guile-2.2-dev was removed,
so I did sudo apt purge guile-2.2 and libguile-2.2
and removed all 2.2 from
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu

 > Then you want to delete all of /usr/local/lib/gnucash and /usr/local/share/gnucash.
Did that.  /usr/local/share/gnucash was there, now deleted.

After another configure and compile the run time errors go away and all is well.
Thanks for the hints on cleaning out the old that conflicts with the new.