[GNC] CSV Importer - Single amount column

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Mon Nov 19 02:30:21 EST 2018

My bank has a  CSV format with a data column, an amount column , a
description then a balance column and finally an expense category. The
amount column is negative for withdrawals and positive for deposits.

When I tried to import the data with the currency set to Locale (the
default) and the amount column set as Withdrawal, the importer did not
recognise the positive quantities as withdrawls and markde them as errors. I
played a bit with the other settings and by setting the currency to a period
as the separator and with a comma as a thousands indicator, the importer
then recognized all the transactions in the file and imported them
correctly.

As this behavior is not exactly intuitive, I thought it was worth posting to
help anyone else trying to use the CSV importer who may encounter a similar
problem.

I don't  normally use the CSV importer as my bank also has a correctly
formatted OFX export which works. I was experimenting with it to try and
find a way of dealing with importing CSV output from my PayPal account.
However still no luck with that without extensive editing in LibreOffice
Calc before re-exporting the modified CSV.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens