[GNC] Import CSV Multi-currency

GTI .H gti9070h at gmail.com
Sat Nov 24 11:24:56 EST 2018

Let's go to the laborious enlightenment:

Em sáb, 24 de nov de 2018 às 06:59, David Carlson <
david.carlson.417 at gmail.com> escreveu:

> GTI,
>
> Whenever there is more than one currency in a transaction GnuCash creates
> a split to record the exchange between currencies, so there is a separate
> split line for each currency.

No. I have in my register a ton of one-line two-currency transactions even
though the register allow them to be displayed on 4 lines pressing the
split button: 1 Description, 2 involved currencies, 1 in white.

In my humble understanding, splitted transactions are transactions where a
value is transferred to two or more destinations because the possible logic
for this is split.
Two-currencies transactions does not allow the logic for splits = Division
by 1 (if you prefer).

>  When a multi-currency transaction is imported, there will be two split
> lines, not one.

If this does not follow the logic above, this is a bug.

> That is an artifact of double entry accounting as implemented in GnuCash
> See chapter 12 if the tutorial <
> https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=guide>.  As
> explained therein, you need to have some account that is denominated in the
> other currency to use in the transaction, occupying the second split line
> and triggering the exchange rate dialog.  Stock purchases and sales are
> accounted in a similar way.

The old CSV importer would choke on security purchase transactions which
> have a currency and a commodity which is handled roughly similarly to a
> currency.  I do not know whether the improved CSV importer still has this
> issue, but as Geert, the developer notes, the issue may be in the part that
> he has not addressed yet.

Thanks for the efforts, but for me, what you said seems undefined, not
delimited and everything mixed.

--
Regards
GTI