[GNC] Crash - advice please!

Michael Hendry hendry.michael at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 02:00:28 EST 2018

> On 24 Nov 2018, at 23:31, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:

>> Thanks, John.
>>
>>> There’s no reason to reboot your computer. You’re running a real operating system, not Microsoft.
>>
>> That’s the theory, anyway...
>>

>>> ESJE.gnucash was the previous saved file, the autosave didn’t get far enough to rename it, so that’s OK. You can go ahead and open it without any worries. As long as the changes between 17:51 and 18:08 were transaction edits/additions only and didn’t use the business features then replaying the log file should recover your work in the 18 minutes. There’s no risk in trying it, GnuCash always renames the old file before trying to save a new one... but you can check the results in memory first as long as you get it done in less than 15 minutes (or you turn off autosave in Preferences until you’re happy with the results).
>>
>> OK, I loaded the ESJE.gnucash file, and recovered any subsequent changes from the .log file, and all seems OK.
>>
>> I subsequently ran the Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss reports without trouble, and exported them to PDF.
>>

>>> The crash is kind of interesting. It appears to be while processing a list of top-level windows. I guess the invalid one is the just-dismissed reconcile window, but do you have your reports going to tabs or to new windows?
>>
>> This morning's work had involved:
>>
>> 1. Reconciling a bank account (which involved making a few additional entries).
>> 2. Preparing reports on various asset, liability, income and expense accounts for the financial year (1st November 2017 to 31st October 2018) and exporting them to PDF.
>> 3. Requesting a Balance Sheet for 31st October 2018 - which is the point at which the crash occurred.
>>
>> I have the reports going to tabs, not new windows. In this context, I generally close the tabs involved in each report before moving on to the next, but I can’t swear that this was done before the Balance Sheet request; there would have been a maximum of 3 tabs open at that stage.
>>
>> I’m sure I had completed the reconciliation some time before the crash, because I needed to reconcile before preparing the report on the bank account.
>>
>> Here’s a directory listing for the PDF files in reverse chronological order.
>>
>> | => ls -l -t
>> total 1848
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   53878 24 Nov 16:10 Profit & Loss-Year to 2018-10-31.pdf
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   48158 24 Nov 16:08 Balance Sheeet at 2018-10-31.pdf
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   42343 24 Nov 08:08 Liabilities-Loan from Ruth Irons to 2018-10-31.pdf
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   43701 24 Nov 08:07 Income-Work for Third Parties to 2018-10-31.pdf
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   47074 24 Nov 08:07 Income-Shawbrook Interest to 2018-10-31.pdf
>> -rw-r--r--@ 1 michaelhendry  staff   40246 24 Nov 08:05 Income-Donation to 2018-10-31.pdf
> [...]

Correct, no prices or securities were involved, and the work I’d done involved deletion of the Closure of Books transactions I’d previously created, reconciliation of the Clydesdale Bank statement (including the entry of a few missing transactions) then a series of:

open_account->filter_by_dates->save_the_date_range->transaction_report->export_to_PDF->close_tabs.

Michael