[GNC] Accounting Modules

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Nov 27 18:49:17 EST 2018

On 11/27/18 4:46 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>>> The other big issue is that your description of the various modules in a
>>> business accounting system is for *big* business. That’s not what GnuCash
>>> is designed for and not what the current development team is interested in,
>>> never mind (as you point out) capable of supporting. There are a several
>>> open-source projects in that space, search the web for “foss erp” to find
>>> them. GnuCash is focussed on very small businesses (as in sole
>>> proprietorships) and individuals.
>> I mostly agree, yet I think many small businesses would benefit from a simple
>> inventory management system. My own business would have for that matter.
>>
>> And while inventory is not strictly accounting it would make gnucash a viable
>> option to quite a few extra small businesses. So I'm in two minds with respect
>> to inventory support and have been for quite a while. In the past I envisioned
>> implementing it myself (reusing certain parts of the existing code and adding
>> the missing bits) but for various reasons shifted to other priorities. If
>> someone would step in to write it, I would still support the effort though.
> "Inventory Management" is so close to managing stocks, that it should be
> possible to implement with bit of recycling/repurposing the existing code for
> stocks...  One can *almost* fake it now by considering physical inventory as
> if it were a stock and using a "stock" type account.
Hmm.  I'll have to read up on stocks.  My retirement accounts are
managed by a firm so I haven't felt the need to track the details.
>> Payroll on the other hand is not my cup of tea and likely more targeted at
>> larger businesses.
> Yes, a full fledged Payroll module would likely to be major bit of coding, but
> maybe a simplified small scale Payroll module *might* be of use to smaller
> businesses (say < 5 employees).

The one I built was for a 700 employee hospital in S. California.  They
had strange rules about on-call and overtime.

Something for a Mom and Pop would be interesting.  Not this year!

>> More generally, we can certainly use more hands to carry gnucash forward. So
>> Stephen your offer to lend us a hand is highly appreciated :)
I'm curious as to how many developers contribute.
> +1
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM