[GNC] Accounting Modules

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us
Tue Nov 27 22:23:09 EST 2018

> On Nov 28, 2018, at 8:36 AM, John Ralls <jralls at ceridwen.fremont.ca.us> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 28, 2018, at 12:59 AM, Michael or Penny Novack <stepbystepfarm at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 11/26/2018 11:27 PM, David Cousens wrote:
>>> Steve,
>>>
>>> I'd reinforce John and Adrien's comments about diving right in.  I
>>> originally learned C somewhere in the late 1980's from Kernigan and
>>> Ritchie's book and used the language for a couple of years.
>> Not a bad way to learn  I used that book too. The exercises along the way are essentially creating your own versions of the "standard library" utilities.
>>
>> C++ is essentially a "pre-compiler" language. Object oriented at the source level, not object oriented at run time. Whether a good idea to start with C++ might depend on how far you need to go. Just some basic/routine programming or all the way to being able to define your own special purpose objects that are from scratch (as opposed to composed of existing ones in the C++ objects library).

You’re about 30 years out-of-date on C++ (and probably on C as well if your study stopped with K&R). You might find the suggested reading at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/C%2B%2B#Developer_Preparation <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/C++#Developer_Preparation> or Koenig & Moo’s “Accelerated C++”, recommended earlier in this thread, useful to catch up.

Regards,
John Ralls