[GNC] Profit/Loss report

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Oct 1 10:38:08 EDT 2018

Dan,

There have been some previous discussions on the list about how top-level accounts work. (and do not work) I seem to recall that for what you want to accomplish, (essentially a separate account tree) top-level accounts aren’t the solution. The issue is that top-level accounts don’t have a type ‘entity’ to facilitate this use and the other types cause issues as you have discovered.

You can either create sub-accounts for each entity under the main accounts, or use sub-accounts under the subs of the main accounts.

For example:

Expenses
Expenses:Personal
Expenses:Personal:expense 1
Expenses:Personal:expense 2
Expenses:Personal:expense 3
Expenses:Personal:expense ...
Expenses:Business
Expenses:Business:expense 1
Expenses:Business:expense 2
Expenses:Business:expense 3
Expenses:Business:expense ...

(same for Income/Revenue)

or

Expenses:expense 1:Personal
Expenses:expense 1:Business
Expenses:expense 2:Personal
Expenses:expense 2:Business
Expenses:expense 3:Personal
Expenses:expense 3:Business
Expenses:expense ...:Personal
Expenses:expense ...:Business

You’ll probably prefer the first option as this makes it easy to select child accounts in report configurations for either entity all at once instead of individually clicking each one. They’ll also show up in the CoA tab together that way. (though each main type, asset, expense, income, et cetera are still divided up under those main accounts) The first option also makes for quick work entering transactions as you can shortcut the typing to something like “ex:p:...” or “ex:b:...” or simply “ex:p” or “ex:b” and then end up in the area of the list that has the intended entity’s accounts.

Regards,
Adrien