[GNC] Is GnuCash the right application for me?

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Fri Oct 12 09:40:34 EDT 2018

> I run the accounts for a couple of clubs with similar needs.  Setup
> one accounts file for each club so they are kept separate.  I have not
> bothered with the complexities of the business features (invoices etc)
> as I have not found them necessary.

I am a person who is treasurer for organizations and gnucash is
certainly suitable.

One issue though. It is unfortunate that that the "invoice" system is
limited to "business features" and the assumption that accounting will
be on the accrual basis (and that invoiced amounts are "receivables"  <<
the members of many organizations want to receive invoices for
membership fees, etc. >>

HOWEVER -- this cannot be considered a fault of gnucash since many of
the commercial alternatives share that same defect << even when the
product is being sold as "the non-profit version" >> The general case
situation for non-profits is that they need invoicing capability for
BOTH "receivables" (say billing for services provided) and
"non-receivables" (like membership dues -- there is NO legal obligation
to continue paying those). To make things even worse, members may be
making "pledges" which ARE receivables but only under conditions of the
pledge AND members usually want those shown on a "unified statement".

The sad truth is that the "small non-profit" market probably isn't large
enough to support the creation of accounting systems so specialized. So
we get by with work arounds.

Michael D Novack