[GNC] Preferences for latest version

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 03:56:04 EDT 2018

Adrien,

I’ve been following this thread, and decided to try some of it out. I’d like to report that my results have been less than stellar, and just a little bit confusing.

I will begin by saying that I am a long time MacOS user, and I am running both 2.6.19 and 3.3 on MacOS Mojave (which just installed). I have been switching back and forth because I had some troubles with the typeahead in 3.x, but wanted to be able to import commodity prices using csv files.

I will skip the version 2 styling in the interest of staying on topic here with 3.0 styling.

My gtk-3.0.css (in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash) reads:
* {
  font-size: 12px;
  font-family: Times, serif;
}
#account_tree, .GncAccountPage {
 background-color: lightgrey;
}

treeview button {
 background-color: lightgrey;
 color: black;
}
notebook tab {
  min-height: 0px;
  margin-top: 0px;
  margin-bottom: 0px;
  padding-left: 0px;
  padding-right: 0px;
}
notebook tab box {
  padding-top: 2px;
  padding-bottom: 2px;
}

These entries are copied from your example and another example for the tab padding. I have some notes:

* First off, it appears that if there is ANY error in your css, then none of your modifications will appear. So, if you have an error with your color name, the font specification will not apply either.

* I changed the font to “Big Caslon” as a test, since I can’t tell the difference between the various sans-serif fonts that are available at my advanced age. What I found was that the ONLY place I saw a change to a serif font was in my reports. All other fonts remained sans serif. Using single quotes or double quotes or even no quotes made no difference in the results. However, if I used a single word font name (“Braggadocio”, “Century”, “Helvetica”), the results appeared everywhere. I’m not sure what the authorized GTK3 method is for handling multiword font names; I couldn’t find any information out there for this.

* For yucks, I changed the px setting to 32, and Wow! that worked on everything.

* Initially, I omitted the ‘#’ before ‘account_tree’, assuming it was a typo. Not so! Again, single word values (“lightgrey”, “purple”) worked, while multiword (“Light Steel Grey”, from wikipedia liisting) values didn’t.

* While trudging through the Internet, I found a page that suggested that css allowed variable definitions. My attempt to copy that example, however, went down in flames. It might be nice to be able to set variables up and then change a single entry at the top to reset the look throughout, if anyone has advice for this.

Cheers,
David T.