[GNC] Feature request: Stock currency setting

rsbrux rsbrux at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 05:51:07 EDT 2018

I have been repeatedly frustrated by my failure to remember this advice
from
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Stocks/add_stock#Stocks_noted_in_foreign_currency

If you start your first (buy) transaction from your stock account, the
currency of the parent account will be used. Assuming your default
currency is USD and you wish to buy stocks in EUR, then you should first
create a normal asset account of currency EUR and below this your stock
accounts.

Alternatively you could start your first transaction from you EUR cash
or bank account, but with the first approach everything is much clearer
- also later if you forgot the nominal currency.

<<

I find it far more intuitive to start securities transactions from the
account for the particular security, and I prefer to keep the parent
accounts by account rather than by currency.  It is easier to start the
transactions from a security account, because the fields provided are
described in keeping with with securities transactions.  However, this
often gets me in trouble with securities traded in a currency other than
my base currency (CHF).  I suspect that I am not the only one with this
problem. Would it be possible to add a selection for trading currency in
the Security Editor?  It could default to the setting indicated above,
but there would at least be a way to explicitly see and control what is
now hidden and implicit.

As a case in point, I have a bank relationship which includes securities
as well as accounts in both CHF and USD.  The bank erroneously booked
the purchase of a USD-denominated security to my CHF account, and I duly
recorded the transaction that way. After I complained to the bank, they
rolled back the transaction and posted it to my USD account instead.
Now I see no way of correcting the entries in GnuCash other than to
delete the account for the particular security and to recreate it via a
transaction starting from my USD account.  Am I missing something here?