[GNC] Capital losses in Advanced Portfolio Report

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Sun Oct 21 18:22:26 EDT 2018

It's hard wired because that's what the report writer wrote, and was
merged into gnucash, as a voluntary contribution.

It's rather difficult to modify these reports and maintain full
compatibility with everyone who has used them previously and expect the
report output to be predictable. Often the report behaviours are only
discovered by users reporting unusual behavior.

As discovered here this report expects transfers from STOCK/FUND accounts to

  * ASSET/LIABILITY for stock/fund purchases/sales
  * INCOME for capital gains/losses
  * EXPENSE for transactional costs eg brokerage fees

This is now well-defined (albeit not well documented yet), works well
within the Gnucash engine. IMHO the report shouldn't be modified.