[GNC] OFX import when bank doesn't use unique ACCTID

D sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 23 09:06:35 EDT 2018

Ryan,

Another option is to suggest to your bank that they are not implementing OFX properly, and encourage them to issue unique ACCTIDs for each account...

On October 23, 2018, at 4:46 PM, Ryan Boder <ryan.boder at gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 10:31 PM David Reiser <dbreiser at icloud.com> wrote:

> > On Oct 22, 2018, at 9:27 PM, Ryan Boder <ryan.boder at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I'm new to gnucash and have run into a frustrating problem importing my
> > bank accounts. My bank is putting a non-unique number in the ACCTID field
> > of the OFX files. They only put the last 4 digits of what they call the
> > "member number product ID" in as the ACCTID. I have multiple accounts
> with
> > this bank and all my accounts have the same last 4 digits in that ID.
>
> Are they sending you more than one account per file. That is permissible
> in the OFX standard, but there would have to be something that identified
> the subaccount uniquely. Is there some other line in the file that provides
> ID of the subaccount? If so, one option is to process each file via script
> (that you’d have to write) before importing. If your bank doesn’t give you
> any way to tell which account one OFX file is from vs another OFX file,
> that’s a user hostile bank.

The OFX files only have 1 account each. I download a separate OFX file per
account. The problem is each file has the same information in
the BANKACCTFROM section, even for my different accounts (1 for each family
member):

                                <BANKACCTFROM>
                                        <BANKID>USA
                                        <ACCTID>0090
                                        <ACCTTYPE>CHECKING
                                </BANKACCTFROM>

0090 is the last 4 digits of the "member number product ID" for all my
accounts. The full member number product ID is unique but the bank only
puts the last 4 digits in the OFX file. I suppose that means the bank is
doing it wrong? I can reach out and ask them to fix it but I wouldn't hold
my breath on that happening.

I'll use the approach you recommended and write a script to preprocess the
OFX files and insert the full ID.

> > 3) My bank supports CSV export as well as OFX/QFX. I could avoid OFX all
> > together and try to make something work with CSV. This doesn't seem ideal
> > as it's not a standard file format and it looks like I would have to do
> > some manipulation of some of the fields to make it work in Gnucash.
>
> The Gnucash version 3.x CSV importer is much better than prior versions.
> If your CSV has any structure at all, it should be possible to set up the
> import settings to get the data, and save those settings so you never have
> to edit them again — just pick the settings definition in a dropdown menu
> during the import. The CSV importer has the added advantage that you get a
> look at the file you’re importing and can tweak the settings and see the
> filtering results before actually importing the file.

You're right, CSV import does work out of the box. It just took tinkering
and figuring out the right settings. So I have 2 usable solutions.

Thanks Dave!

- Ryan