[GNC] Libboost_regex needed

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Tue Oct 23 11:46:48 EDT 2018

Not sure who maintains the Wiki for Ubuntu builds, but I had to install
libboost-all-dev on my Ubuntu 18.04 last night in order to run GnuCash
after a successful compile/build.

Longer story --

Tried to upgrade to 18.10.  Worked until I shut down and powered up the
next morning.  Could not mount the home directory (turns out it is
encrypted and the mount got a "bad address").  Trying to roll back to
18.04 compounded the problem (booting off a live USB ISO reported the
disk config was wrong).

I finally gave up and loaded a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 and have spent the
last two days getting things installed and back running. GnuCash was one
of the last ones.  I pulled the latest from github (git clone) did a
clean cmake, make, sudo make install but ran into the missing shared
library libboost-regex.  After an hour of digging I finally found
reference to libboost-all-dev.  That installed a lot of things but cured
the missing shared library.

I think I'll give 18.10 a couple of months to mature some more. I also
un-encrypted the home directory.  Thankfully the restore from the daily
backups worked (took a long time).

Wish there was a way to backup the current o/s state and restore/reload
it automatically rather than all that typing I had to do to get items
added back.  I'm sure I missed a lot (my favorites are not so crowded
today)!

--Steve

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM