[GNC] OFX import file xml tags for accounts

John A Brown johnbrowngreybeard at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 17:17:19 EDT 2018

gnuCash successfully imports OFX file from my bank. There is nothing in the
OFX file to indicate what accounts to post to. The resulting checking
account register has two lines for each transaction, a deposit and a
withdrawal, a debit and credit.

I want to perform a programming edit to the file before importing that will
label the accounts I want to effect with each transaction import.

QUESTIONS:
What is the xml tag for Asset:Current Assets:Checking Account?
What is the xml tag for Expenses:UPS Shipping?

The transaction listing AS IS is as follows:
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20180905120000
<TRNAMT>-72.36
<FITID>8904938
<NAME>U. P. S. UPS BILL XXXXX0000X96W0
<MEMO>U. P. S. UPS BILL XXXXX0000X96W00
</STMTTRN>

My expectation is transaction listing:
<STMTTRN>
<TRNTYPE>DEBIT
<DTPOSTED>20180905120000
<TRNAMT>-72.36
<FITID>8904938
<NAME>U. P. S. UPS BILL XXXXX0000X96W0
<MEMO>U. P. S. UPS BILL XXXXX0000X96W00
<ACCOUNT>Expenses:UPS Shipping
</STMTTRN>
would do the trick as long as <ACCOUNT> is the correct xml tag.

I can get QIF files to do what I want but I would prefer to use OFX. I DO
APPRECIATE OPEN SOURCE!

Thank you for your help.