[GNC] Question about sub accounts

Wm wm_o_o_o at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 12:53:30 EDT 2018

On 29/10/2018 14:55, Eric Gwin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm pretty new to to application, and have basically 0 accounting
> background. I've setup my books and all is working pretty well, but I am
> running into an issue with subaccounts I hope I'm doing something wrong,
> but if not I'd also like to know so I can post a suggestion.
>
> Scenario:
>
> I have a checking account I am using as an accumulator for multiple other
> purposes (it is a "sinking" fund account I use to "save" for
> expected/budgeted non-monthly expenses)
>
> I have set it up like this:
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking*
>
> is then has sub accounts to track deposits to and deductions from various
> categories
>

> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:AutoMaint*
>
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:Clothing*
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:HairCare*
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:HomeMaint*
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:KidActivity*
>
> On a bi-monthly basis, I deposit a fixed amount to the "sinking checking"
> and a split transaction allocates it to the various sub-accounts.
> Then as payments need to be made I use that checking for the payment and
> track it using an entry against the sub-account.
>
> This works pretty well as it solves the major problem of maintaining each
> sub-accounts spending and balances. However, in order to reconcile the
> checking account I need to see all the transactions to each sub account
> listed in the register for the "sinking checking" along with the running
> balance for the account.

I'm missing the point a bit, you have really specific accounts.

> I've been able to limp by so far by specifying every transaction as a split
> with no amount to *assets:current assets:sinking checking *
> and the actual transaction amount to the sub-account:
> *assets:current assets:sinking checking:AutoMaint*   -135.45
> *Expenses:Sinking:AutoMaint  *                     135.45
> That at least creates an entry in the "singing checking" register and the
> "Accounts" tab does show the current balance for "sinking checking", but
> there is no running total, nor does the transaction amount show in that
> account's register.
>
> Setting "Sinking checking" as a placeholder seems to simply mean GNUCash
> won't allow you to view the register or enter a transaction against the
> account.

We are aware of envelope accounting as a theory and don't really think
of it as accounting, it is a budgeting method and hope you realise that.
  Your budget is your business, gnc can help you but it isn't going to
do it for you.  gnc is for grown ups not the average Trump voter.

> Is there a way to set up an account of this type where the account
> maintains the transactions (as it should for reconciliation) and each
> sub-account also "inherits" transactions for their type: or the sub
> accounts get the transaction entries as I'm doing, but the parent account
> register lists (but doesn't total) the sub account transactions?

Yes, spend at the lowest level and report at the highest level and drill
down until you see what you do (or don't) want to see.

BTW, this sort of Budgeting won't work in gnc so don't even try.  Micro
management of personal finance is best done in another way, I'd go so
far as to suggest not doing it on social media.
--
Wm