[GNC] FinanceQuote Problems?

Glen Larsen glenl.glx at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 18:45:01 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 1, 2018 at 11:03 AM GB <galaxy-bars at hotmail.com> wrote:

> [ ... ]
> What am I doing wrong?  What did I not set properly in GnuCash inorder to
> make the Finance Quotes work?

You did nothing wrong and there is nothing wrong with gnucash.

Alphavantage only allows 5 quotes per minute. You, like me, are tracking
more than that and gnucash is not providing this adjustment for a single
quote source. Personally, I've written a python script to get this done
using an SQLite backend and if I knew this problem would last a long time I
would polish it up and make it public.

> To get the latest, I am now resorting to manually populating all of the
> security prices.  Which is a royal pain.  Any help or tips would be much
> much appreciated !

Armed with the knowledge of the quotes/minute limit you could do this:
1. Open the security editor (Tools -> Security Editor)
2. Display the 'Get Quote' column by using the pulldown on the right and
ticking 'Get Quotes'
3. Untick (double-click to get the editor) all of them except the first 4
(they say 5 but I swear it is 4.)
4. In 'Price Database' dialog, 'Get Quotes'
4.1 Wait 60 less the time it took to do steps 3 and 4 in seconds
5. Untick, re-tick, repeat as necessary.

That has got to be marginally better than manual entry.

This is also a good time to review your list of securities and untick 'Get
Quotes' for stocks you have sold off (0 in your portfolio).