[GNC] [OT] Why is Debit abbreviated Dr?

Geoff Jankowski geoff.jankowski at me.com
Wed Sep 5 14:42:50 EDT 2018

David

I would love to agree with you but…..

In standard journal notation cr is a debt and dr an asset.  This is because it is nothing to do with credit (+ve) and debit (-ve) in any sense (or tense) but to do with a creditor (to whom we owe) and a debtor (who owes us).  Hence dr and cr relate to debtor and creditor and not to any form of debit or credit.

For example, if I take cash from the cash box and deposit it at the bank I enter a cr to the cashbook and a dr to the bank account.

Totally counterintuitive which is why accountancy is a black art and should be banned.

I am also an engineer that has been a finance director for many years (but that does not necessarily give me the right to write what is right).

Geoff
+44 20 7100 1092
+44 7770 58 48 38
+33 5 46 97 13 89