[GNC] How do I enter a transaction with an account not in the Gnucash ledger?

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sun Sep 9 15:26:16 EDT 2018

At Sun, 9 Sep 2018 11:59:57 -0700 Mark Phillips <mark at phillipsmarketing.biz> wrote:

> How do I enter the following transaction in gnucash?
>
> I have a business checking account and a personal checking account. My
> Gnucash file only tracks the business checking account. Occasionally, I
> grab the wrong debit card from my wallet to pay for a business expense.
>
> For example, let's say I use my personal debit card to pay $100 of business
> expenses. For this example let's say I bought $100 of nuts and bolts (since
> I feel like a nut not being able to work this out). How do I enter this
> transaction into my business Gnucash ledger to account for (1) transferring
> money out of my business checking to reimburse my personal checking and (2)
> record the expense in the appropriate business account?

You will have to add an additional account for this.  Call it "personal
reimbursment account" or whatever.  Not sure what type of account (could just
be a "bank account").

You would either make one transaction with a set of splits:

$100 *from* "personal reimbursment account" *to* "Nuts and Bolts account"
$100 *from* "business checking" *to* "personal reimbursment account"

Or two separate transactions, which might make sense if there is a "delay" in
the reimbursment (eg you don't get around to it for a couple of days, etc.).

At the end of the day, the "personal reimbursment account" is normally at a
balance of $0, except when you "grab the wrong debit card" and when you handle
the reimbursment.

> Thanks!
>
> Mark
>
> PS The good news is I have only done this twice since 2015!

Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933