[GNC] How to handle Asset equity etc in begining?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Tue Sep 11 01:15:25 EDT 2018

You should speak to a local accountant about how to book asset values for your jurisdiction. But assuming the land’s book value is indeed what you indicated, simply create a transaction like so:

Dr. Assets:Fixed Assets:Land
Cr. Equity:Opening Balances

Is the advance unearned revenue/income? If so, you’d book it something like this:

Dr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash
Cr. Liabilities:Unearned Revenue/Income

When you ‘earn’ the advance by performing work, delivering goods/services, then you’d enter something like this:

Dr. Liabilities:Unearned Revenue/Income
Cr. Revenue/Income

You can accomplish those two transactions either directly, or using the Business Features. (You’d make a pre-payment debited to Cash and posted to the Unearned account, then later create an invoice with the line-item posting to the Revenue/Income account and the invoice itself posting to the Unearned account)

Regards,
Adrien