[GNC] re-adding billable expenses to an invoice

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Sep 11 11:25:36 EDT 2018

Hi,

Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> writes:

> On 6 September 2018 at 12:04, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>
>     Matthew Pounsett <matt at conundrum.com> writes:
>
>     > I accidentally flubbed some keyboard entry while putting together an
>     > invoice and messed up a billable expense item which had been
>     automatically
>     > added when the invoice was created.  Since there is no "Undo" the best
>     > option seemed to be to delete the entry and start over, but I can't find
>     > way to instruct GnuCash to add billable items to an invoice.  It seems
>     > do it automatically at invoice creation, and no other way.
>     >
>     > Am I missing something?
>
>     When you are editing the invoice, just click in the "Billable" column
>     when adding the line-item to mark it as billable.
>
> I think you've misunderstood the question.   There are already billable
> expenses in the system.  I'm generating the invoice in which those billable
> items will be passed on to the client.

Yes, clearly I did...

> I need to re-add the billable expenses to the invoice.  There doesn't appear
> to be a way to do that... it looks like they are only added when the invoice
> is first created.. I can't find any button, menu, or anything else that would
> trigger adding billable expenses to an existing invoice.

I honestly don't recall if there is a way to add additional billable
charge-back items to an already-created invoice.  I wrote that original
code over 15 years ago; I'd have to search through it again to remind
myself how it works (and see what changes may have been made).

The way it is supposed to work is that when the invoice is opened for
the correct customer (or correct job), it will find all items and
chargebacks.  Then you need to manually "add" those chargebacks to this
particular invoice by clicking on the "included" column.

I THOUGHT the query was created every time, but it's possible the query
only includes the chargeback items before it is posted the first time.
If you've posted and then unposted the invoice, it's certainly possible
the logic will not include new chargebacks.

Also, make sure the chargeback == invoice owner (customer and/or job).
If the chargeback is to a job but the invoice is a customer, it
definitely wont show up.