[GNC] Repeatable Mac crash

John Ralls jralls at ceridwen.us
Sun Sep 30 10:06:16 EDT 2018

> On Sep 29, 2018, at 4:30 AM, Robert Kesterson <robertk at robertk.com> wrote:
>
> I’ve been using GnuCash forever, running the 2.x series up until a couple of months ago on Mac High Sierra.  I routinely have two instances of Gnucash running — one personal and one business.  A couple of months ago I updated to GnuCash 3.2.  Since then I have a 100% repeatable crash scenario that I wonder if anyone knows how to solve.
>
> When I open Gnucash, it opens the last file I had open, which is great.  Then I start the second instance from a terminal with “open -n /Applications/GnuCash.app” and it starts up.  Since the most recent file is already open, it will complain that it can’t get the lock and ask what I want to do.  Since there isn’t an “open a different file” option, I hit the button to create a new file.  Gnucash opens.  Then I pull down the recent files menu and select my other file (for example, if personal is open, I select the business file).  Gnucash will ask if I want to save the empty set of accounts it created a moment ago.  I say no, and it reads my second file.
>
> The moment the second file finishes reading (the progress bar moves all the way across), Gnucash crashes.  This is 100% repeatable — happens this way every single time, no matter which file I have open first or second.
>
> I can then run the second instance again, and the other file will have now moved to the position of most recent file opened, and it will open automatically.  It will complain that it is locked (since it crashed without removing it), and I tell it to ignore it and it will run fine.
>
> Again, this is 100% repeatable.  If there is a known fix, I’d love to hear it.  If not, what can I do to help track this down so it can get fixed?

Please open a bug report and attach (don’t paste it into a comment!) the crash report you’ll find by opening Applications:Utilities:Console and selecting User Reports on the sidebar. You can control-click on a report and select “show in finder” to get its location.

Since you’re running two instances of GnuCash it’s likely that the trace file will be garbled, so if you could use the following from the command line instead:
  /Applications/Gnucash.app/Contents/MacOS/Gnucash --logto=~/gnucash.trace
That will create a separate trace file in your user directory that you can also attach to the bug report. You could even add the file path for the file you really want to open to the end of that and save yourself the “can’t get the lock” drill.

Regards,
John Ralls