[GNC] How to change the currency in the summary bar

Christopher Lam christopher.lck at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 09:49:02 EDT 2019

We prefer https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists#Netiquette here

To change root currency:
1. backup datafile
2. rename datafile.gnucash to datafile.gnucash.gz then gunzip using a
reputable tool such as 7-zip
3. open using a reputable text editor such as Notepad++. find the root
currency labelled <act:type>ROOT</act:type>
4. locate the associated currency e.g.
  <act:commodity>
    <cmdty:space>CURRENCY</cmdty:space>
    <cmdty:id>EUR</cmdty:id>
  </act:commodity>
5. change the <cmdty:id> at leisure.
6. save, restart.

Beware, there will be unknown side effects.