[GNC] Restoring backups

Michael or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at comcast.net
Sat Apr 6 09:45:41 EDT 2019

On 4/5/2019 7:48 PM, Fuchs Ira wrote:
> Conversely, if I move the current .gnucash to another machine that only has this file (and gnucash app) and open it, I don't see any recent transactions (only transactions from several years ago when I last used this test machine). Does the .gnucash file not contain everything? Put another way, how would I migrate the current state (or an earlier state) to another machine?

Probably my biggest "coup" in the aftermath of recovering from a
"restored the wrong backup" disaster << in one of the world's largest
financial companies >> was introducing UNIQUE file names. The uniqueness
was the date assigned to the run << not the "clock date" -- so if
assigned to run for 19901207 didn't become 19901208 if the job ran after
midnight >> This was automated (that was the big deal) but you can do
the same thing manually.

When you make backups, don't use the same name << which isn't changing>>
but when you copy say ..... mybooks.gnucash to the backup device
immediately rename it to say .....mybooks20190406.gnucash   Then all
your backups on the backup device will have a unique name and you will
know which you are restoring << or which you are opening to view old data >>

Michael D Novack

PS -- I backup ALL of my user date, not file by file. If you do THAT you
don't have to rename individual folders and files. You just create a
directory unique to the backups << name like ...backups20190406 >> and
that's where you copy all of your user data.