[GNC] Downgrading to 2.6.21

Greg Feneis mfeneis at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 13:50:18 EDT 2019

Some more testing on the issue where 3.5 seems to want a shorter path than
2.6.x did:

Just now, I exited Dropbox to see if that had something to do with it, but
pretty much the same error for all three path variations, what worked
historically with 2.6.x, no ampersand but some folder names used spaces,
and no ampersand + no spaces.  It seemed purely to do with length, but it
doesn't seem to be about total characters.

With Dropbox back on, here are some more tests:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\test.gnucash   (52 chars) Success!

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\GnuCashFiles\test.gnucash  (65
chars) Failure!

So I shortened the name of the last folder from GnuCashFiles down to G and
still got the same problem
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\G\test.gnucash  (54 chars) Failure!

So I shortened the name of the previous folder from GnuCash down to GnuCa,
and it also failed even though it was 52 chars, the character count that
seemed to work previously.  Also the error message for this is slightly
different.
"You attempted to save in [gibberish]\Users\Greg\AppData\Roaming\GnuCash or
a subdirectory thereof. This is not allowed as GnuCash reserves that
directory for internal use....Please try again in a different directory.
(close)."  See screen shot here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pa3gdy6c2w21x6u/2019-04-07_9-30-31.jpg?dl=0
This was the actual attempted path:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCa\G\test.gnucash   (52 chars) Failure!
although same char count

More testing:

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\G\G\test.gnucash   (48 chars)  Failure!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCand\G\G\test.gnucash (47 chars) Failure!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCan\G\G\test.gnucash (46 chars) Success!

If I reduce the number of folders in the path, does the max character count
go up?

C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\G\test.gnucash   (46 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\Gnu\test.gnucash (48 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCash\test.gnucash (52 chars) Success!
(confirming results from beginning of this email)
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPath\test.gnucash (66
chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(83 chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandD\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(100
chars) Success!
C:\Dropbox\MyDocs\ThoroughCandDTestEvenLongerPathEvenLongerPathSuperLongPath\GnuCashTestLongerPathAndEvenLongerPathAndEvenLongerPath\test.gnucash
(145 chars) Success!

I'm not going to test to failure on this folder count, but it sure looks
like something about GnuCash 3.5 limits the path based on folder count and
path character count.  If I use a 5 folder path, max path character count
is 46.  If I used a 4 folder path, I've tested up to 145 characters.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Greg