[GNC] credit card opening balance

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 02:03:33 EDT 2019

If you enter negative numbers, it will flip to the other column. All numbers should be entered as positive. You choose to either enter them as payments or charges. (debits and credits respectively in formal terminology)

Payments (debits, left column) decrease the amount owed for a liability.
Charges (credits, right column) increase the amount owed for a liability.

Since they owe you, you want to enter that amount on the payment side.

The other account you want to use is Equity:Opening Balances (since you indicated this is the opening balance for that account at the point you are starting your books)

While ‘payment’ may sound strange to you, the math will work out.

Personally, I prefer formal accounting labels (debits/credits) as that is easier to keep straight in my mind. I also view all registers in Transaction Journal view and Double Line view. (Double Line view allows for a transaction-wide note field) This allows me to see all debits and credits at all times so I understand exactly what is happening with all transactions and nothing is hidden. (you can always toggle this as desired in the view menu, or set the preference globally) If you click the ’split’ button, you’ll see a similar view for a single transaction. (Auto-Split shows all splits only for the current transaction you are editing)

When you enter transactions, you aren’t entering them in only one account, every transaction records money moving from one account to another. The current register is one account, you have to specify the other. If you don’t, GnuCash will use either the Orphan-USD or Imbalance-USD accounts. (USD is different for each currency used) This is because all transactions must balance to net zero between two accounts, equal debits and credits.

’Transfer’ is merely a reference to the amount and other account you are moving the money to. (from the credit card, to somewhere else, likely an expense, as payments are usually entered from your banking register.)

If you choose Transaction Journal view, the Transfer column will go away because you don’t need it as you now see all debits and credits directly.

Regards,
Adrien