[GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 02:54:14 EDT 2019

You’re welcome.

When reading the Guide, for starters, get all the way through Chapter 7. (since you are tracking credit cards) You can read the rest as needed.

For the Help manual, get through Chapter 6.

I don’t recommend skipping around, at least not the first time through each one.

Also, don’t sweat the learning curve. It took me about 2 or more weeks to get a good grasp on things. Entering transactions each and every day as they occur, will help tremendously. (trying to do them in large batches once a week or less frequently will make learning more difficult and disjointed) It’s also a good habit to not get in the weeds with a pile of receipts and bills to enter.

As most people, I had this or that odd transaction or activity that I didn’t resolve how to enter properly for a few months and that wasn’t described straightforward in the documentation. (not a big deal, you can always change things later) I also edited and re-arranged my account tree several times as I began tracking expenses and assets. One important tidbit I learned from that is try to record as much info into each transaction as possible. Use the memos for each split line where possible. While it may seem like a lot of work now, try to avoid combining items on a receipt into a single split line. (I even record sales tax on its own line assigned to its own account - much easier than trying to pro-rate it across multiple expense accounts from the same receipt) If you later want to divide them up, and you don’t have enough info to do so, you might hamper your refinement of your account tree down the road. This also serves as a mini-check of the receipt’s math, and yes, I’ve caught a few errors over the years. (not that I could do anything about it usually after I left the store) GnuCash will auto-fill recurring transactions as you enter them. So after a few months, you will do little original typing.

Best of luck & welcome to GnuCash!

Regards,
Adrien