[GNC] two lines for every entry

ToddAndMargo ToddAndMargo at zoho.com
Thu Apr 11 03:57:43 EDT 2019

On 4/11/19 12:43 AM, Adrien Monteleone wrote:
> Sorry to break it to you. You have to care, to enter the transaction.
>
> EACH AND EVERY transaction has two entries or splits.
>
> A payment will have one split to the card account and the other to whatever asset you used to make that payment.
>
> Accounting isn’t adding things up. (well, not simply anyway)
>
> It is tracking*where*  money is coming from and*where*  it is going to.
>
> You have to track both parts, not just one side.

I get it.  Just telling it I made a payment will not suffice.
I has to know where it came from.

> If you made a cash payment one month, enter that as:
>
> Dr. Liabilities:Credit Card:VISA-1234
> Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash
>
> If you later made a payment by check:
>
> Dr. Liabilities:Credit Card:VISA-1234
> Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking
>
> Not all payments have to be from the same place, but you do have to say where they came from. That’s how it works.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Hi Adrian,

You know, I actually am starting to follow.

And I am now pretty much aware that I am trying to
use a super computer where my fingers would suffice.

I think at this point, I should probably switch to a
spreadsheet.  I am not doing "bookkeeping".  I am
just tracking purchases and payments.

I also tested HomeBank and KMyMoney.  Home Bank crashed
setting up and account, so it got removed.    KMyMoney,
what can I say, it is just weird.  It is just about
to get removed too.

Rube Goldberg is laughing at me.

Thank you for all the help,
-T