[GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 03:59:27 EDT 2019

> On Apr 11, 2019, at 2:29 AM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Adrian,
>
> Maybe in my next life I will want all those features.  Right
> now I want to make a charge, then enter it into GnuCash
> (or similar), see what my running balance is (how much I
> have left on the card to charge), enter the ending balance
> when I get my statement, and make sure the statement agrees with
> what GnuCash says it should say.

Unfortunately, you aren’t going to see remaining credit available. (that is a pending feature request, but no time table on it being implemented)

Otherwise, GnuCash can do what you are looking for concerning that card.

> I just DO NOT CARE where my payments come from, just
> that I actually made a payment and the payment shows
> up on the bank statement.

See my other reply. No way out on this one. I’ll offer the suggestion to create a generic asset account and use that, but I’d caution against it. At the least, if you insist, I highly re-iterate my recommendation to include as much info for those payments as possible so later, a few months from now, when you realize you do need to track where those payments came from (so your check book balances correctly if you paid from it) then you’ll have the info needed to assign those payments properly.

> My head is spinning.  The how to guides I found on the web
> tell you how to set up an account, but not how to operate
> it once it is set up
>
> I have chapter one up on the screen right now.  If you hear
> a loud thump, my head just hit the table and I did not make
> it to chapter two.  These kind of guides put me to sleep.
> In college, I had to record my teachers lectures as I slept
> through them.  The times I forced myself to stay awake,
> I actually started hallucinating and did not retain anything.
> But the balls dangling in front of my eyes were pretty!
>
> Thank you for all the continuing help,
> -T

I get it. They aren’t an exciting read. I feel the same way about them. But they are accurate and they do explain how to use the software.

If you try to wing it, you are going to keep your head spinning.

That is, your head is spinning precisely because you are trying to make guesses and proceeding by trial and error. That way lies no end of grief when using GnuCash.

For starters, SLOW DOWN. You’ll get through this faster than you think as long as you don’t try to move too fast and not first try to understand how to do it.

Regards,
Adrien