[GNC] n and c?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 16:25:26 EDT 2019

I’m not sure there is a particular link for that specific thing. (other than the Help manual on the GnuCash website - or via your Help menu, which contain some screenshots for clarity.)

Here’s a simple version:

Click the create new account button on the toolbar.

Make it of type `asset`.

Give it any name you like. (CC Funds?, CC Payments?)

Maybe give it a more meaningful `Description` for reference should you end up tracking other things and want to remember what this is for. (“placeholder for my credit card payments from multiple sources”)

Enter your payments in the credit card account as follows:

If using the default informal labels and ‘Basic View’ - as a ’Transfer payment’ from this new asset account. In Basic View you don’t see the other split and you don’t need to in this case. You just see that you made a payment. (the balancing ‘charge’ is hidden from view)

If using the Transaction Journal view and formal labels - assign the first account split to the credit card account as a debit (left column), then assign the second split to your generic asset account as a credit (right column).

---

If you want to track expenses by ‘category’ then you’ll need to create expense accounts for each one as the Help/Guide describe. You’ll enter those transactions as ’transfer charges’ to the relevant expense accounts. (in Basic View) If a single transaction has more than one category, you’ll need to use the ’Split’ button if you are in Basic View to add more than one.

If you are using Transaction Journal view and formal labels, then enter the first split assigned to the credit card account for the full charge amount as a credit. (right side) Then enter each line-item expense (if more than one) assigned to each expense account as debits. (left side)

Of course, the view and the label choice are not tied together. You could use formal labels and Basic View or informal labels and Transaction Journal view. It’s a personal preference.

Regards,
Adrien