[GNC] What's wrong with the digest?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Thu Apr 11 16:31:36 EDT 2019

I don’t ever recall MailMan lists as being sorted, but I could be mistaken. (I haven’t used digests in ages)

While you might on average get one digest per day, a really active list will send multiple because it is also determined by size. When people reply to messages without trimming unnecessary parts of the quoted thread (which may be several messages deep in each quote), the digest size increases quickly. Which is why I’ve learned to trim as often as I can remember to do so. While I don’t use digests myself, I’d like to be kind to those that do.

I’ve adapted to non-digest mode and simply zapping the threads I’m not interested in. This gets me proper threading (in most cases) and is easier to manage replies.

Regards,
Adrien