[GNC] credit card opening balance

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 08:11:45 EDT 2019

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 6:30 AM Liz <edodd at billiau.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 23:11:34 -0700
> ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:
>
> > Every time I enter a charge I get another equal lien with
> > payment.   This confuses the heck out of me as I make one
> > payment a month and have multiple charges that apply to it.
>
> That is not the way the system is meant to work...
>
> Say we had Take away chinese tucker tonight
>
> It cost $45 and was bought on the credit card
>
> So the entry can be made either on the CreditCard 'account'
> where $45 goes as 'charge' AND transfer to Expenses:TakeAway
>
> OR
>
> it could be made on the Expenses:TakeAway 'account' where $45 goes as
> 'expense' AND transfer to CreditCard
>
> Then the amount owing on the credit card has gone up by $45. At the end
> of the month you have the total recorded in the far right column.
>
> If you use "traditional accounting labels" you will get those instead
> of 'charge' and 'expense'
>
> Liz

Now I am confused, because I thought the topic was about which account to
assign an opening balance for a credit card to, then it changed to whether
to ... use "traditional accounting labels" ... instead of 'charge' and
'expense', with a side trip into whether to use single line or two line
views or transaction journal view.

The underlying transaction (once it is correctly entered) would remain the
same regardless of which view preference is selected or which account
register the transaction is viewed in.  I could tell you my personal view
preference, but that would just add to the confusion.  It is up to the user
to try them out and come to his own conclusion.

--
David Carlson