[GNC] two lines for every entry

Derek Atkins derek at ihtfp.com
Fri Apr 12 09:03:04 EDT 2019

Todd,

ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <gnucash-user at gnucash.org> writes:

[snip]
> Hi Michael,
>
> I wrote my own database for my business.  All payments
> must match all charges.  The reports even tell you
> what line on what tax form to enter the totals.
> It includes invoices and cost of goods sold.  So
> the "bookkeeping" is already taken care of.
>
> What I am after is a simple way to keep track of charges
> and payments on my credit cards and my check books.
> The goal is an easier way to balance against my bank's
> statements without the need for white out when I add 2+2
> and get 3.
>
> I DO NOT CARE about categories and the like.  That is
> already taken care of in my database, right down to
> the line on the tax form.

GnuCash does not require you to use specific categories.  You could just
have a single account, "Expenses", and use that for all charges.  So you
could have a minimal account tree in GnuCash that looks something like:

Assets
   Bank
Liabilities
   Credit Card
Income
Expenses
Equity
   Opening Balances

Then you could just create transactions from Liabilities:Credit Card to
Expenses for all your charges, and Assets:Bank for payments.

But honestly, it really sounds like you've already implemented most of
what you need already in your database, so you're probably better off
just extending your existing database for the additional features you
need.

Had you started with GnuCash originally I would say something different,
but really, using GnuCash for what you want probably is overkill since
you've already got most of GnuCash's functionality implemented in your
DB.

Good Luck!

> -T

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745