[GNC] How to account for credit card fees

Stephen M. Butler kg7je at arrl.net
Fri Apr 12 12:57:08 EDT 2019

On 4/11/19 11:28 PM, Andres Aviles wrote:
>    Hello all -
>
>    This is my first post.  So far I love GnuCash !
>
>    I run a small business and accept credit/debit cards using the Square
>    app.  They take out the fees before they deposit the money received. I
>    have imported my credit union statements which includes the deposits
>    made by Square. But how do I account for these fees in GnuCash that
>    Square takes out before the deposit ? I'm using version 3.5.1 right
>    now.
>
>    Thanks.
>
>    Andy A.
>    ana5914 at gmx.com

Do they have a payments file you can download?  My friend and I have a
storefront on Squarespace that uses Stripe for the credit/debit
processing.  Strip has a payments file that I can download as a csv.  It
has fields for the order-id, total product sold, shipping charges, state
and local taxes, their fee, net amt deposited.  I accumulate these in a
SQLite DB and tag by date on which the net is deposited (since they
combine all sales in a day to a single deposit).  So far I report the
totals by day and manually enter into GnC.  At some future date I'll
have the report generate a CSV file to import into GnC.

This works for me in the US.  Your needs/requirements may vary.

--
Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
Stephen.M.Butler51 at gmail.com
kg7je at arrl.net