[GNC] two lines for every entry

Cricket Onebit cricketbeautiful at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 15:27:36 EDT 2019

One additional point:

When the bank or credit card company gives you money and issues a Debit
Memo, they name from their perspective, giving instructions to their
clerks. They say they are debiting you.

You, however, are on the other side of the transaction. In your books, you
credit them -- even though the paper clearly says debit.

Always look at which direction the money flows.

My trick is to ask which line in the transaction makes me happy, and debit
it. I'm happy to debit (increase) cash, bank account, number of chocolate
bars. I'm not happy to credit them.

I'm happy to get groceries (debit), but sad (credit) to pay for them (cash,
card, bank account).

I'm happy to reduce what I owe on my credit card (debit), but sad to take
money out of my bank to do it (credit).

That trick only works with simple things like cash, physical assets, credit
cards, and mortgages. For fancier things (like drawings, retained earnings,
and other things only accountants understand), usually one side is a simple
asset, so I do that first, and the fancy account gets the other side.

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 at 03:41, Adrien Monteleone <
adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net> wrote:

> I don’t recommend using that method in the documentation. (it even says it
> has a major drawback) Use the more formal method of assigning expenses to
> separate expense accounts and set up the credit card as a liability or
> credit card type account. (done for you if you used the account wizard at
> startup)
>
> I’ll give you a brief overview, but please, read the Help and Guide
> documents. They are going to help tremendously.
>
> Also, consider the View options I mentioned earlier. Switch to Transaction
> Journal view. (Double Line is optional, but useful as noted)
>
> Finally, I highly recommend you change the Preference to ‘Use Formal
> Accounting Labels’.
>
> The informal labels can be very confusing, and so far, they seem to be
> tripping you up. Debits and Credit will make much more sense in the long
> run.
>
> -----------
>
> Now, for how double entry works:
>
> Money does not appear or disappear. It moves from one place to another.
> This is accomplished by each transaction having two entry ’splits’, one
> debit, one credit. (don’t think of them as increase/decrease just yet, but
> merely, ‘left column’ and ‘right column’)
>
> Each transaction must balance with an equal amount (value, not quantity)
> of debits and credits. (abbreviated Dr. and Cr. respectively)
>
> I’ll keep these transactions simple.
>
> Example of spending cash on a snowcone:
>
> Dr. Expenses:Snacks                             $5
> Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Cash                          $5
>

> Example of that same purchase on a credit card:
>
> Dr. Expenses:Snacks                             $5
> Cr. Liabilities:Credit Cards:VISA-1234                  $5
>
> (naming your card accounts with the last 4 digits is a good way to quickly
> tell them apart if you have more than one)
>
> Making the monthly payment to your credit card company:
>
> Dr. Liabilities:Credit Cards:VISA-1234          $250
> Cr. Assets:Current Assets:Checking                      $250
>

> As you can see, each transaction has at least 2 ’splits’ or entries
> (double-entry accounting) and the sum of the debits equal the sum of the
> credits. (simple in this case)
>
> I find it a good habit to always enter transactions into the register
> where the money is coming from, and then the other split(s) will always be
> where the money is going to. So most of my transactions are entered from my
> asset accounts and the other splits are either expense accounts or
> liability accounts. (paying them off)
>
> I don’t use a credit card, but if I did, I’d enter expenses charged on the
> card in the card register since that is where the money is coming from to
> pay the expense and assign the other splits to the relevant expense
> accounts.
>
> Following this practice will help ensure you don’t get mixed up as to what
> is coming and going account-wise.
>
> If you are not using the Transaction Journal view as recommended, then the
> [...]

+++

Not as a ladder from earth to Heaven, not as a witness to any creed,
But simple service simply given to his own kind in their common need.
-- Rudyard Kipling