[GNC] Unable to import QIF or QFX.

David Cousens davidcousens at bigpond.com
Sat Apr 13 20:44:00 EDT 2019

Evan

OFX/QFX files can be edited or examined with a text editor. Usual caution
about line endings and text editors between Linux and Windows environments
apply

 First check to see if the exported file from Quicken had any content. If
nothing is coming up after selecting the file and pressing the import button
then either the file has no content or GnuCash is failing to parse the
content correctly.  OFX/QFX files are

It is unlikely that Quicken would release a program that doesn't write
correct QFX files but it is always remotely possible. They should be
readable as OFX files as well, they just contain extra tags for proprietary
information which is ignored on import to GnuCash

The latter could result from corruption of the file during writing/editing
copying as well as software bugs. Unclosed or missing tags are one
possibility

The QFX/OFX formats are described in the following
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QFX_(file_format)
http://www.ofx.net/downloads/OFX%202.2.pdf

and some info about QIF
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quicken_Interchange_Format.

There have been no major problems reported recently with OFX/QFX or QIF
import at the level of stopping an import. I have imported OFX/QFX files
from my bank in 3.5 on Linux Mint in the last day without any problems and
import has been working for the the recent 2.6 versions. Less sure about
QIF. If the files look OK then it may be a Windows only bug.

David Cousens

-----
David Cousens