[GNC] Don't understand why I have what I have

David Carlson david.carlson.417 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 23:53:28 EDT 2019

ToddAndMargo,

On Sat, Apr 13, 2019 at 9:22 PM ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user <
gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> On 4/13/19 3:53 PM, ToddAndMargo via gnucash-user wrote:
> > Oh Geez,
> >
> > I try to reverse the numbers and get all kinds of junk to Imbalance USD.
> > Is there a way to elegantly do this?
>

> I exported it to a CSV.   I found founbd columns:
>
>      Amount With Sym
>      Amount Num.
>
> It it really easy to reverse their signs and write it back
> out with Libre Office Calc
>
> Is there a way to read it back in and overwrite what was there?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

When editing a transaction in GnuCash it is easy and recommended to tab
from field to field in the transaction and change the text, signs or
amounts as desired, with the caveat that tabbing off the right end of a
line will trigger GnuCash to calculate a sum of the two values in the
credit and debit fields and place a positive value in one of the boxes.

Then you can continue through the transaction until all lines are as
desired.  To commit your completed edit press Return or Enter whatever it
is called on your keyboard.  GnuCash will then re-arrange the lines so all
the lines with positive values in the left box appear first, then lines
with positive values in the right box appear below.  If there are lines
with zeros the zeros disappear but the line remains with empty boxes in
between the other lines.  This is also when GnuCash adds lines called
Imbalance if all the lines do not add up to zero.  Once you get used to
that behavior it seems automatic and logical.

--
David Carlson