[GNC] Don't understand why I have what I have

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Sun Apr 14 01:11:28 EDT 2019

I understand you don’t care for the official documentation, but how much frustration have you endured by not reading it and just trying to plow through? How many times have you asked for help or for understanding that would have been avoided by reading the manual?

Help Manual (https://www.gnucash.org/viewdoc.phtml?rev=3&lang=C&doc=help, or p.56 in the PDF)
Chapter 6. Common Transaction Operations
6.2. Enter Transaction via register

"Note
When working on transactions in GnuCash, be aware that the Enter key and the Tab key behave differently, and perform different actions.

The Enter key moves to the first field of the next split, regardless of which field you are in. If there is no next split, proceeds to the next transaction. In any case, Enter finishes the transaction edit, and any imbalance is posted to Imbalance-CUR, where CUR is the currency of the transaction.

The Tab key moves to the next field in the current split. If it's the last field, moves to the next split, creating a new one if there isn't one. If the split is blank, the Tab key finishes the transaction and posts any imbalance to Imbalance-CUR, as above."

The rest of the section proceeds to explain, step by step, field by field, what to enter and how to do it unambiguously.

Regards,
Adrien