[GNC] Transaction Report with ver.3.5 not working?

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Apr 15 18:11:27 EDT 2019

When you first run the report, it is blank, telling you no accounts are selected with a link to “Edit report options” —click that link. (or click the Options button in the toolbar)

In the Accounts tab of the options dialog, select the account(s) you want to report on. I presume in this case, Expenses:Auto:Fuel or something similar according to how you have your account tree set up.

You can optionally filter that set of transactions using the Filter By... section. (such as only transactions from the desired accounts which perhaps were paid in cash instead of check or card)

In the Sorting tab of this options dialog, set the "Primary Key:" to ‘Date’, the option for “Primary Subtotal for Date Key:” defaults to ‘Monthly’ but you can change it.

That is the minimum to get you what you’ve asked for help with so far.

You can then adjust other options, and click the ‘Apply’ button after each, to play around with the results until they are to your liking. Of particular interest may be the date ranges in the General tab, and the “Show subtotals only (hide transactional data)” in the Sorting tab. If you have multiple child accounts for “Fuel” and selected more than one to report on, you could set the “Secondary Key:” there to ‘Account Name’ instead of ‘Register Order’ to group the account transactions together within each month. (and even use the “Secondary Subtotal” option to get subtotals for each child account within each month)

Once you have a good option set you’d like to use again, you can use the ’Save Config As...’ button to save the options to a custom report name. Next time you want to run this report with the same options, use the "Saved Report Configurations" menu entry instead of the generic "Transaction Report" entry.

Note, you don’t have to close the options dialog for changes to take effect, just use the Apply button. This way you can quickly toggle and customize the desired options to get what you want.

Regards,
Adrien