[GNC] Equity Calculation on the Balance Sheet

Adrien Monteleone adrien.monteleone at lusfiber.net
Mon Apr 15 23:26:14 EDT 2019

Tom,

Strange that the AR/AP numbers would be different on those two reports. Perhaps it is a date issue on the Aging reports. Make sure they would end on the same day you are running the balance sheet for. The only thing I can think of that might cause this would be bills and invoices that are posted to dates beyond the Balance Sheet date and those aging reports are set to include them. (the Balance Sheet won’t of course, because their date hasn’t arrived) If the Balance Sheet is set for a date beyond all posted invoices and bills and so your aging reports are ’thru’ the same date, then I’m not sure where the problem lies.

Retained Earnings/Losses is a friendly shortcut of GnuCash so you don’t have to ‘Close the Books’ each year to get that figure. (this is the computer age after all)

In this case, the net of Income-Expenses is a loss for now.

If you’d rather have an actual Equity account where you record Retained Earnings/Losses, then as of the date for each end of year, perform the close books procedure. (or close all income and expense accounts to that account manually)

The reason your Balance Sheet is showing a different number than Net Income YTD is that the Balance Sheet is ‘for all time’ not just this year. So effectively, you are only $38.61 from becoming profitable since you opened the books in GnuCash.

Essentially, this wouldn’t change if you used an actual Equity account here. It would show "Equity:Retained Earnings" as "-$38.61".

Regards,
Adrien