[GNC] Need help with a Savings account

Colin Law clanlaw at gmail.com
Tue Apr 16 12:32:58 EDT 2019

On Tue, 16 Apr 2019 at 01:14, John Clark via gnucash-user
<gnucash-user at gnucash.org> wrote:

> Because these terms ‘never make sense’, as seen by this example. It is far more simpler to just say, money coming in, on the left, money going out on the right… or is the other way around...

Money moves from right to left, that is one of the immutable laws of
natrure (at least in the universe of Gnucash).

It may have been mentioned before but in Settings > Accounts there is
a checkbox, Use formal accounting labels.  If you clear that then the
headings on bank accounts say withdrawal and deposit, and on Credit
card accounts say Charge and Payment, which I find much easier to cope
with.

The reason we have so much trouble with the words debit and credit is
that we are used to seeing them on the bank statement and such like,
so we have got used to them apparently meaning the opposite of what
they really mean when looked at from our own point of view, rather
than the bank's.

Colin