[GNC] How to treat benefit payments from government?

R. Victor Klassen rvklassen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 19:32:46 EDT 2019

I generally treat such payments as income, but as its own account.  It isn’t taxable, or reportable, so if you care (i.e. if you are going to use your GnuCash data in filling in your income taxes, rather than, say downloading your T-slips), you want it segregated from other income.  Then I can do an Income Statement that does or does not include that account.  If I want to take it to the bank - to convince them I am worth lending some money to, I’d want to include it, as it increases my income.  Also it’s more complete for my own use.